Deadline: July 31, 2022
Nominations are invited for the 2022 Ann Petry Prize. Founded in 2020 in partnership with Red Hen Press and the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, the Ann Petry Prize seeks to publish prose literature by Black authors.
The Ann Petry Prize is awarded to an unpublished work of prose, either a novel or a collection of short stories or short stories, of a minimum of 150 pages, by a black writer. The winning manuscript is selected through an annual submission process, with primary review by the Peauxdunque Writers Alliance, which will evaluate submissions to a list of finalists for the final judge.
- $3,000 prize
- Publication of the book by Red Hen Press
- The opening chapter or story of the award-winning manuscript will be published in the journal Peauxdunque
- Four-week residency at the Community Library’s Ernest and Mary Hemingway House in Ketchum, Idaho
The award is open to all black writers, with the following exceptions:
- Authors whose complete work has been published by Red Hen Press, or a complete work currently under review by Red Hen Press;
- Employees, trainees or contractors of Red Hen Press;
- Relatives of employees or board members;
- Relatives or people having a personal or professional relationship with one of the final judges when they participated in any way in the development of the manuscript or when, for any reason, the selection of a particular manuscript may seem inappropriate.
The Ann Petry Prize is awarded to an unpublished work of prose, either a novel or a collection of short stories or short stories, with a minimum of 25,000 words (approximately 150 pages, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12pt font) by a writer black. Entries will be accepted only through Submittable.
To ensure that each finalist manuscript receives the fairest evaluation, all manuscripts must be submitted to the judges without any identifying elements. Biographies, acknowledgments and other identifiers will be removed from evaluated manuscripts until the end of the competition.
Remove all names, bios, acknowledgments, and other identifying material from the submitted manuscript, and include only your name, contact information, and a short biographical statement in the Submittable cover letter field.
Click here to apply
For more information, visit Ann Petry Award.